Consejos para cuidadores: 9 maneras de mantener la seguridad en el hogar en estas fiestas
Simple Safety Measures
Holidays are a busy time-relatives visiting, decorations going up inside and out and the oven working overtime. If you're also caring for a loved one at home during the holidays, it can be easy to overlook simple safety measures.
Here are nine ways for cuidadores to keep their homes safe for visitors and loved ones of all ages this holiday season:
1. Make sure all smoke detectors are in working order.
2. Place a fire extinguisher near the stove and make sure it’s in good working order.
3. Remove area rugs to prevent trips and falls.
4. Keep stairs and hallways free of clutter, including toys, boxes, loose shoes, etc.
5. Wipe up spilled grease, water or bits of food immediately to prevent slipping.
6. Keep all those extra electric cords out from under rugs, doors and moveable furniture.
7. Make sure extension cords are UA-approved, the proper size for the appliance or light and there is no fraying.
8. Know the location of water, gas and electric shutoffs.
9. Have a physician-approved or American Red Cross first-aid kit ready and replenished.
No one wants to spend time in the emergency department during the holidays. So, before it gets too hectic, take a closer look around the home. Is there anything that could pose a problem that can be eliminated (e.g., wobbly furniture, seldom-used appliances, etc.)? Are there things that could be added that would enhance safety (sturdier handrails, non-slip bath mats, brighter lighting, etc.)?
For most people, home is the best place to be during the holidays. By making it safe, everyone will enjoy the season.